University of Limerick President Dr Des Fitzgerald presented seven outstanding students with Access Scholarship Awards at a ceremony in the university on Thursday, March 22.
The President’s Access Scholarship Awards were launched in 2011 under the President’s patronage. Since then a total of 38 Access scholarships have been presented to UL students in acknowledgement of the highest standards of academic achievement.
The 2017/2018 President’s Access Scholars are:
• Anthony Kavanagh, a Bachelor of Science in Technology Management student from ] Co. Mayo;
• John-James Kelly, a Bachelor of Engineering in Aeronautical Engineering student from Co. Kildare;
• Joseph Greaney, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Games Development student from Co. Kerry;
• Jordan O’Connor, a Bachelor of Business Studies with French student from Limerick;
• Deirdre O’Connor, a Bachelor of Business Studies from Limerick;
• Daniel Flynn, a Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering student from Co. Limerick;
• Ashley Storan, a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Biochemistry student from Limerick.
Congratulating the successful students, their families and friends, Dr Fitzgerald said: “The President’s Access Scholars’ Awards were created to acknowledge the highest standards of academic achievement and to inspire all Access students to continue to strive for excellence. All of today’s scholarship recipients have performed exceptionally well in academic studies. I have no doubt that the ambition and determination that brought them here today will propel them through the opportunities and challenges to come”.
In the Academic year 2002/03, UL had 52 Access students; today it has 1,059 as well as 46 postgraduates.